Leela Zero is an open-source, community-based project attempting to replicate the approach of AlphaGo Zero. It has reached superhuman strength. A Windows binary is available, a Linux(amd64-desktop/arm64-mobile) package is available, but it can also be compiled for Mac.
You can play against Leela Zero by using any GTP-compatible GUI. There are also web based software that let you review your games using Leela Zero.
Follow the instructions given at https://github.com/gcp/leela-zero.
For some Linux distros, e.g. Debian/Ubuntu, you can get LeelaZero via "apt install leela-zero -y", see here for more. After installed, you need a weight from LeelaZero official site to run it, and the run command is "leelaz -w path/to/weight".
Out of date:
For Linux you need to build it yourself, and you may be unable to build from release 0.17 ( bug #2378.
(Could add tips here based on our experience)
See also LeelaZero / Patrick Traill on Linux for the tale of how he got the GPU running but ended up with a dysfunctional laptop battery.
Tournaments and matches
- Golaxy vs Leela Zero 2018 Match: lost two even games and lost 2-3 receiving one handicap.
- Leela Zero vs Haylee Match: won two even games and four games against 2 handicap (with komi) and lost two games against 3 handicap (with komi).
- BerryGenomics Cup 2018 World AI Weiqi Competition: passed preliminary and finished third in finals losing to Phoenix Go in semifinals and winning TS Go in the match for 3rd place.
- 2018 Tencent World AI Weiqi Competition: passed preliminary and finished 5th out of 8 in group stage.
- Bossoft Cup 2019 World AI Weiqi Competition: passed preliminary and finished third in finals losing to Golaxy in semifinal and winning against Raynz in the match for 3rd place.
- Lost to Golaxy in an exhibition game at the 2nd Digital China Summit ( Yike).
- 2019 China Securities Cup World AI Weiqi Open: passed preliminary, won in quarterfinal against Globis-AQZ and was eliminated in semifinal by Golaxy 3-0.
- 2020 World Artificial Intelligence Go Competition: passed preliminary, TBA.
Leela Zero v 0.16 is playing 19x19 games on DragonGoServer. It runs with a thinking time of 1 minute without GPU support. An update is currently impossible as, alas, version 0.17 does no longer run without GPU support. It's strength on DragonGoServer is 4 dan, due to high handicap games that it cannot cope with. Last Update: September 2020.
- Leela is an older and weaker program, not open source, by the same author trained on high level games.
- iceelz a GUI which lets you use LeelaZero with Alphago Master's opening library.
- Lizzie ( https://github.com/featurecat/lizzie) a GUI to LeelaZero allowing a nice visualisation of its debug output - suggested moves, win rate, variations, etc
- LeelaSabaki modified version of SabakiSoftware
- LizGoban an analysis tool which uses LeelaZero and KataGo. UI is built using Electron.
- LeelaChess a sister project for Chess
- https://www.reddit.com/r/cbaduk/comments/8wo1ni/new_approach_success_modification_of_lz_became/ describes a new version of Leela Zero trained to work with various values of komi: 7.5, 0, -7.5. This has been used to analyse the ear-reddening move.
- https://github.com/featurecat/Influencie Using LeelaZero to generate Influence maps
- https://www.zbaduk.com play leela zero from your web browser (also for smartphones and tablets).
- OGS now has an AI review feature which uses LeelaZero.
- Zbaduk an online tool using LeelaZero for quick and easy analysis
- Leela Zero's opening gospel