Wiki News (version 89)
We will post news or information concerning Sensei's Library here. --Arno & Morten
- New: you can customize FullRecentChanges now. See SL Tips And Tricks for more.
- For librarians: click on the "librarian" text besides your username in the left hand column: you should be taken to the admin page. Not much functionality there yet, but can be extended ...
- I did some refactoring of the code as well, if you encounter anything odd then tell me about it on GuineaPigsFeedback
- New SL snapshot: 11MB, >4500 pages, >6600 diagrams.
- UndefinedPages: pages can now be categorized. Librarians can modify categories, as I can't think up any useful categories myself :o) Just as an example I have created a category called "People". UndefinedPages are ordered by modification date of referring page - newest on top.
- Confused: A category for "Books" or "Review" would be nice too. A lot of the undefined pages come from the GoBooks page. This category could also be used for other missing product reviews like software or go-servers.
- Arno: done.
- I hope I am forgiven for not noticing that we reached page #4000 some days ago (see also: SL history, SL statistics). What is there to say? I am still amazed at the growth and increasing popularity of SL. I guess I speak for Morten, me, and all lurkers out there: thank you very much for your valuable contributions!! <bows till nose touches feet, then exits left>
- Updated to a new PHP version - if you come across any strange behaviour, please let me know.
- we have moved to a new server. Thanks to the French Go Federation for being our host for two years. SL has come a long way since then.
- If you run across any problems on the new site please let me know.
- I have restored HighOrLow. Anything else destroyed? Note: I don't follow all changes at SL closely. If you'd like to get my attention post to GuineaPigsFeedback, MetaDiscussion, MessagesToPeopleCurrentlyPresentInTheLibrary, or to ArnoHollosi or MortenPahle.
- recalculated PagesByDistance and DistanceFromFrontPage. Search for your favorite pages and lower their score by linking them from more places. Wikis like the web live from hyperlinks :o)
- New SLSnapshot: over 3000 pages, 5500 diagrams: get it while it's hot :o)
- PageNumber3000 - Congrats to CharlesMatthews and everyone else. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
- Useless fact of the day: SL passed the mark of one million page views some days ago (since its creation in Nov 2000). Currently SL has about 5000 page hits/day and about 550 visitors/day.
- As a fellow deshi ran into the "too many requests" limit, I changed the behaviour slightly. Someone issuing more than 35 requests/minute will be blocked for 5 minutes and a warning message appears. If the limit is exceeded within the next hour again, the IP address is blocked for 6 hours.
- If you have password-protected your UserName, then only your name is shown in RecentChanges. If you have an "unprotected" UserName, then the IP address is still shown. Note that in the version history of the page the IP number is always shown. Should make RecentChanges look cleaner. You can add a password in UserPreferences.
- Implemented new archive backend - it now stores only the diff, not the complete page. The size of the archive database was reduced to 7MB (from over 50MB). If you detect something weird using the diffs in RecentChanges then let me know.
- New: diagrams can now have coordinates (basically: add a 'c' in the title line, e.g. "$$Bc title"), see HowDiagramsWork for more information.
- New PageType: OngoingGame. Changes to pages of type OngoingGame are not logged to RecentChanges, but to RecentChangesGames instead. This should help keeping RecentChanges readable. In the future, those game pages might have additional features as well.
- As the overload protection seems to work, and no user ran into the limit, I have increased the blocking time to 24 hours.
- As people don't stop mirroring SL with their dumb tools, I have added an additional protection mechanism. If someone issues more than 30 requests/minute they are blocked for 12 hours. I don't know if this limit is too low so that regular users might run into it as well, so please send me an email if you got blocked by accident and I will raise the limit.
- New SLSnapshot online - 1700 pages, 4000 diagrams & SGF files, 6MB.
- In order to fight spambots harvesting email addresses I have obfuscated email links, without affecting users. This obfuscation is only done to 'real' email links using 'mailto:', i.e. email@example.com, or Arno. Check the HTML source (not the wiki source) to see how the obfuscation works. Tested with Netscape6+, Mozilla, Lynx, Opera. Should work on IE too.
- Seems to work on IE 6. Thanks! --unkx80
- Yes, many thanks, Arno! :-) --Bill
- new feature: GenerateDiagramFromSGF
- First reaction = Great! DaveSigaty
- Change of TextFormattingRules: '----' forces text below a diagram (again) and makes a horizontal line. Super line-break [%%%%] remains. There's no need to use the 4x% linebreak in front of the 4x- line anymore.
- recalculated DistanceFromFrontpage and PagesByDistance. Trends: Morten lost his first place to Dieter, playing sente is more important than playing atari, and being a HikaruNoGoJunkie is more hip than being a RecentChangesJunkie.
- Previous versions from 2001-Oct-06: PagesByDistance, DistanceFromFrontpage
- Updated preview mechanism so that it does not rely on the browser's "back" function any more. This should solve all problems with "disappearing" edits.
- Added possibility to protect your username with a password. Note: be careful: there's no undo or change password feature. In case, you find your name taken by someone else, leave a note on one of the MetaDiscussion pages.
- Also, see TouchgraphWikiBrowser
- added new preference for experience level: casual visitor/SL deshi. Deshis are allowed to adjust pagetitles and revive the latest version. Casual visitors lost the ability to revive the latest version.
- fixed some tiny bugs and did some clean up.
- I have added a RandomPage feature. Hint: add the former link to your wiki bookmarks to jump continuously through the library :o)
- Change of TextFormattingRules: '----' no longer forces text below a diagram, it just makes a simple horizontal line. Instead there's a new line-break: [%%%%] (4 x %) will cause a <br clear=all> and thus force text below the current diagram. The simple line-break [%%%] (3 x %) still works and just makes a line-break, not affecting floating text around a diagram. All pages updated accordingly. Whenever you find 4% followed by 4- you are now free to remove one of them - whichever is the effect you would like to have. Comments? -> GuineaPigsFeedback.
- (just let me add a little rant: please don't use those line-breaks too much. I think that many of those linebreaks should either become paragraphs or lists.)
- Added "Preview" of edits. Does this work on all browsers? Please test it out.
- Added OnTheFlyDiagram which is used for preview and for missing diagrams in archived pages.
- Reworked UserPreferences - more options. To SL-librarians: admin.php no longer necessary. Type in UID/PWD right at UserPreferences.
- For librarians: added "Page rename" feature. Use with care!!
- I fixed some title-related bugs. Everyone can now adjust the pagetitle when creating a page. Only librarians are allowed to adjust the pagetitle once the page is created.
- WikiNames may now contain apostrophes (') as well. The title of a page is now derived from its first creation link, so choose it carefully :o)
- Minor change to layout: different background pic, default font is now generic "sans-serif", and path navigation is now shown at top & bottom of the page instead of inside the left navigation bar. Comments? -> GuineaPigsFeedback
- In the spirit of OpenContent I have made a first SL Snapshot with all pages as HTML, including diagrams and SGF files. Just in case you are worried about us "owning" this content :o)
- I finally added pagename aliases. Example: CaptureGame. All you need to do is write the pagename in the first line of the alias page and set the pagetype to 'Alias'. That's it. The referred page will contain "edit alias" links. (Drawback: multiple indirections such as "alias of alias of ..." are not shown).
- New markup for footnotes: use [#1] to reference a footnote and  for the footnote itself. You can use any number.
- Recalculated PagesByDistance, added new page DistanceFromFrontpage. Pay attention to those 9999 pages (or the ones with score 6 or higher) on the latter.
- Mirroring SL with dumb scripts that do not obey robots.txt continues. As a first measure every function but viewing a page needs to have a referrer information in its request. See AccessBlocked. That shields SL from resource intensive requests like pageinfo and searches. Normal users should not be affected by this protection.
- Added "View" link to pageinfo available by clicking on the title link of a page. You can now view older versions of pages, not just the diff. Btw, advanced users can also create links to older versions of a page. Like this FrontPage version 38 from November 14, 2000. (see source on how to do it). Maybe this proves useful when doing WikiMasterEdits. The choice is up to you.
- Added text-only mode for Lynx-users out there.
Also, selection of font possible.
See UserPreferences. If something breaks, please let me know.
- FullRecentChanges is working now.
- changed RecentChanges to new mode (nested diff links)
- if you are a regular visitor please set your name for edits at UserPreferences. SL was moved behind a proxy which means currently everyone has the same IP address, which in turn means that SL thinks that everyone is the same user. Thus SL does not backup the previous version of the page into the archive unless you set a username. I cannot contact the admin right now (he's on holiday until 27th). I will try to find a solution as soon as possible.
- It seems that the proxy is slow sometimes. The SL server itself is as fast as ever, but sometimes connections to SL (through the proxy) are very slow. I hope that this is just during the transition phase. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Update of GoWiki engine. If you encounter problems please let me know.
- New: external links are marked with a small graphic icon so that they can be distuinguished more easily from internal links
- New: SGF files of diagrams by clicking on diagrams
- Change of RecentChanges: diff link now references exact version (necessary because of MinorEdit). This allows to keep more information in RecentChanges:
- old behaviour: if someone edits PAGE then all entries for PAGE are removed from RecentChanges
- new behaviour: PAGE entries stay there. E.g. if Dieter edits PAGE, then Arno edits PAGE, then Bill edits PAGE you will see all three entries in RecentChanges with the proper diff link.
- Tell me if you like this or not in MetaDiscussion.
- You have now the possibility to mark your edits as "minor edits" - such edits will not be logged to RecentChanges. This should help keeping RecentChanges tidy. Note: remember that when you have just edited a page and reedit it again, you don't need to check minor edits. This case is already taken care of automatically (if the reedit happens within 36hours).
- As newbies cannot be expected to check "minor edits" I've added a number just after the diff link in RecentChanges - it indicates how the number of lines has changed. E.g. [+4] means the page is now four lines longer than before. Watch out for things like [-40] :o) Note: the number does not indicate how many lines have been changed! Only the change in total linecount is indicated.
- We now allow numbers not only at the end of a WikiName, but also in the middle - this looks like a good extension to avoid names like OngoingGameOneMovesOneHundredTwentyToOneHundredFiftyEight? which could now be written as OngoingGame1 Moves 120 To 158?
- Slightly changed behaviour for archiving pages: currently pages are put into the archive only if a new author edits the page. I've now added the following behaviour: if the same author edits the page after a period of 36 hours the previous version also gets put into the archive. This should produce more "natural" diff outputs in RecentChanges - e.g. someone edits a page and weeks later edits it again, then RecentChanges shows only the latest change in its diff.
- SL now contains over 650 pages
- SL contains more than 500 pages now (doubled over 3 months) - thanks to all contributors!
- updated PagesByDistance
- MostPopular now shows the 50 most popular pages (instead of 20).
- stats: currently about 100 visits/day, on average people look at 6 pages/visit. Content: 420 pages and counting - thanks to everyone!
- new keyword: "Places" for every kind of location related to Go (e.g. tournament venues, go clubs, ...)
- new scoring page: PagesByDistance
- SL contains already over 300 pages
- new keyword: "Go term"
- SL contains more than 250 pages now - thanks to everyone!
 well, maybe you should make sensible choices :o)