The bamboo joint is the name of the shape in the following diagram.
The name, like the 'knuckle' on a stick of bamboo, comes from the strength of the connection. It is normally impossible to cut through it. Note that this shape doesn't normally occur without neighbouring enemy stones. The value of the bamboo joint depends largely on the context See also Dynamic nature of shape.
- It is hardly cuttable (but not impossible)
- It has potential eye shape (but not very much)
- It can avoid nasty forcing moves and form lump shapes, in other words, it leaves very little aji in the connection.
- Bamboo joint Example 1
- Don't try to cut a bamboo joint
- Don't peep at bamboo joints
- The bamboo joint may be short of liberties (bamboo joint can be cut in some cases!)
- Bamboo joint shape discussion
- Large Bamboo joints