Black is one of the two colors used to play the game of Go; the other is white.
numbered move, stone, marked stones
Black's role in the game
- plays first
- takes handicap if necessary
- at most as strong as White
- addressed as "B" or "Black" or "she" or "he" in reviews 
- moves on odd numbers in even games (Black playing first, even passing is considered a move)
Characteristics of black stones
- made of slate or jade (better quality, expensive), glass (common), plastic (poor quality, cheap), or pixels (computer Go, online Go)
- Black numbers 181 stones in some rulesets, an indefinite number in others.
- Between 6mm and 10mm thick according to another page on SL
- Slightly larger than White to make up for an optical illusion
: see also Player Gender