Go Variants as Teaching Method
- No Contact Go
- Atari go (the capture game)
- Stone Counting Teaching Method
- Different Sized Boards
- Trying to live inside various setups
- Games with more than two players
- Think and write before you play
- Make a wall game
Goal of game is to make a wall that has more territory on your colors side any opponent stones on your side are counted as your points. This could be the first game that is taught. Many basic strategy principles are learned automatically. (Then after mastering this variant move on to make living shape or kill variant)
- Renegotiated Komi Go or Pyjama Go
I don't have any experience playing it but it seems like it would help beginners to identify slack moves.
There should be a link for smaller board: 6x6 and 7x7 board Don't know how widespread it is, but it is practiced in Japan as well as in Europe and is very effective with beginners.