What Grade Is This Fuseki
This is the opening question in chapter one of Otake Hideo's Fuseki Theory.
Otake asks two questions:
- What grade are the players in this game? He offers three alternatives:
- There are many strange plays here, these are high kyu players.
- The plays aren't so bad, about shodan level.
- Much stronger than that, these players are top-ranked players (at the level of prefectural champions, i.e. the best amateurs in Japan)
- What is Black's next play? See Correction Below
Give your opinions and reasoning below and add analysis to other peoples' opinions:
Here is Otake's Answer
Yes, being an idiot, I left out one more diagram (two, in SL terms) in originally posting the problem. This may have still left an interesting question but unfortunately it was not the one that Otake asked!