The value of playing in a position means some sort estimate of the number of points locally gained (or lost) by it. There are two main approaches, either of which may be intended in a given context:
- Miai counting The value is regarded as the swing divided by the local tally
- Deiri counting The value is regarded as the swing.
The value of a threat is the value of a follow-up move if the threat is ignored.
- Count The value of a position
- Counting Techniques for evaluating positions and games
- Counting without tears (under construction)
- Swing The difference in count between the positions after a black and a white play
PJTraill: I have not found a page with this sense of value, to which Bill Spights never completed article Counting without Tears refers, so I have made this as a place-holder. It is of course close to counting, but that does not actually talk of the value of a move. Either that or this could be extended.