The Ing Timer was developed by the Ing Foundation for use with Ing Rules. There are two types of Ing Timer. The dark red coloured Type 1 timers function with a Chinese or English voice. The yellow Type 1 timers function with an Chinese or Japanese voice.
This is not an easy task. The EGF has some availability.
The exact operations vary with the Type of Ing Timer. However, the time control is set by controls which are hidden under the lid at the top of the Timer. Also under this lid are the voice setting options. The front of the Timer has two buttons: a look button, to let you see your opponents time and a play button, to press once you make your move. There is also a slidable volume control on 1 side. Batteries are housed underneath the Timer.
Ing clocks are generally set (for main time followed by byoyomi) as follows:
- Press the On/Off button to turn the clock on.
- Put the Set/Run button into Set position.
- Put the button Rs/Bt into Bt position.
- By pressing the (black and white) Play buttons (big buttons on the outside) set the basic time.
- Press the Rs/Bt button.
- Using Play buttons again, set the number of periods (first on the display) and the number of seconds (second on the display).
- Press the Set/Run button.
- Nice personality.
- Smart red or yellow plastic coatings
- Futuristic architecture
- Annoying voices.
- Type 2 Ing Timers need to be programmed in the dark by a linux systems administrator.
Chidori has a nice cartoon featuring various Ing Timers.
- Pressing the clock but watching it still tick down the time is a relatively common problem
- By accident some players will press the Look button instead of the Move button. Dirty opponents will then tell them that they have just passed and try to get an extra move in for free.
- Type 2 timers, when beginning to run low on power, will become silent for one colour.
- EGC2010: a rule dispute in the game between Dinerchtein and van Zeijst. See Life in 19 x 19 http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1299] and http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1666