Go programs on Japanese TV
There are several Go programs on TV in Japan.
Programs on regular TV channels
- The NHK Sunday Go Program (Igo no jikan) on NHK Education (channel 3) at 1200 to 1400 on Sundays. The program has two parts: The Igo Focus? (including NHK Lecture) for 30 minutes, followed by the NHK Cup. The prime time slot, following the shogi program from 1000-1200 shows how popular Go is in Japan, though the average rating is ~1%. Igo Focus is rerun on Friday at 1500. Before 2012, the program dealt with both Igo and Shogi, under the names 'Igo-Shogi Weekly/Journal/Focus'.
Programs on satellite TV channels
- Igo-Shogi channel : Subscription-based specialized channel on CS satellite TV.
- NHK satellite channel (BS2) used to have live coverages on big title matches Kisei, Honinbo, and Meijin. Now only digest programs are broadcast occasionally.
- There used to be a program on TV Tokyo (channel 12) at 0545 to 0615 on Sundays, with three quickplay tournaments round the year.
- April to October: JAL Super Hayago
- October to January: JAL Female Hayago
- January to March: JAL New Star Hayago
This has now been discontinued after 36 years (including Hayago Senshuken before JAL).