Buying Equipment / in North America
|Table of contents
- JWEBSHOP was where the Glowing Stone used to get their inventory from. (2014 April)
- Loblaws has stores in Canada availble for shipping and store pickup. They sell a wooden go board game and a compact go set online. (2022 May)
- Strategy Games: They have stores in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto and also ship in Canada, to the US and worldwide. They sell a small selection of Go sets at reasonable prices. (2022 May)
- Strategy Games: They sell a large selection of Go set at competitive prices. (2017 June)
- Le Valet d'Coeur: This store has a nice selection of Go equipment. (2012 November)
- Strategy Games: On Bank, a bit North of Somerset. Decent portable boards (nice stones and full size roll up board in a nylon carry case with strap, $69), a few other boards or sets (pretty basic) and a few Go books. They can order other things, basically anything their larger Montreal or Toronto stores have.
- Chinatown is along Somerset West. A few stores have go equipment, nothing high-end. About half a block East of Bronson, near the Shanghai restaurant, is one with boards for $17 (as of early 2014).
St. Albert, Alberta
- Mission Fun and Games: They have a small selection of glass stones, table boards, bowls, and folding boards as well as retail and travel box sets. (July 2013)
- Boardgame Bliss: Located at 5-245 West Beaver Creek Road, Richmond Hill, they sell a Go set online. (2022 May)
- F.G. Bradleys: With a location in Fairview Mall and elsewhere, they sell a Go set online. (2022 May)
- Game and Hobby Zone: Located in Cumberland Terrace at 820 Yonge Street (accessible from Bloor Subway Station through the Hudson Bay Centre), they sell a Go set online. (2022 May}
- Strategy Games: Located at 925 Danforth Avenue (west of Donlands Avenue), Strategy Games sells a small selection of Go sets at reasonable prices. (2022 May)
Non-English vendors (Chinatown)
- Chan Sheung Kee Book Company: Located in the heart of Chinatown at 457 Dundas Street West, Chan Sheung Kee sells glass Go stones in oblong containers for $9 and better Go stones in straw baskets for $55. Check if they come with cheap plastic Go sheets, otherwise, you may want to buy them separately for $2. (2022 October)
- A&A Department Store: Located across the street from Chinatown Centre at 251 Spadina Avenue, A&A sells a large 19x19 magnetic Go set for $25. (2022 October)
- Sun Wa Book Store: Located in Dragon City at 280 Spadina Avenue, Sun Wa has soldGo stones in straw baskets for $40 before. (2022 October)
Non-English vendors (Scarborough)
- The Best Shop: With locations in Pacific Mall, Woodside Square, Malvern Town Centre and elsewhere, the Best Shop sells small 15x15 magnetic sets for $7, plastic Go stones with Go sheets for $12, glass Go stones with Go sheets for $10 and thin Go boards with Chinese chess on the other side for $7. (2023 May)
- Sup Book Store: Located in the International Gourmet Street plaza behind the No Frills Supermarket at 633 Silver Star Boulevard (at the southwest corner of Steeles Avenue East and Midland Avenue), Sup sells thick Go boards with Chinese chess on the other side for $23. (2022 June)
Non-English vendors (Other)
- Galleria Supermarket: With a location at 7040 Yonge Street (just north of Steeles Avenue), Galleria sells medium-sized folding Go boards with Korean chess on the other side and Go stones in the housewares section. Go stones and Go boards cost $25 each. (2022 October)
- PAT Supermarket: With locations in Toronto at 675 Bloor Street in Koreatown and Thornhill at 7289 Yonge Street (north of Steeles Avenue) at Glen Cameron Road, P.A.T. sells Go stones and medium-sized folding Go boards with Korean chess on the other side in the housewares aisle. Go stones cost $23 and Go boards cost $27. (2023 April)
- AddAll.com will search all major online book retailers for availability and the lowest price on Go books if you can provide the name, author or, preferably, the ISBN. A total price per book (including estimated shipping and handling) is provided with the search results. If you specify your state, the site will also add any applicable state taxes.
- Algorithmic Artisan: Exotic go stones.
- Amazon.com - Now a good source of go equipments and books.
- Amazon.com Japan - buying directly from Japan seems to be the most economic way to buy Japanese books at the moment. (Note that only shipping to USA by air is available)
- Art of Go at CafePress features shirts, mugs, hats, and other items with 3D ray traced Go artwork.
- ChessNGames.com sells beginner and affordable Go equipment, along with exclusive Korean products. (Dead Link)
- Jzool.com have a very nice range and do a lot of other Japanese items as well.
- Kurokigoishi - Japanese seller who has English website version and ships to N.A.
- Mingzhou Oriental Imports
- NewCentCo Based in Denver, CO.
- Samarkand sells both equipment and books (SL page:Samarkand). This online store is owned by Janice Kim. (Only Wholesale Now)
- Shogun's Gallery offers a limited selection selection of antique, Japanese Go equipment. (Dead Link)
- Toy and Game Warehouse carries some Go sets.
- Yellow Mountain Imports sells Go equipment and slate and shell from Ogawa Goishi. Their best deals are their auctions on eBay.
- Yunnan Arts sells high-end Chinese Go Equipment. Clicking on the "products" link is currently the best way to see the equipment available. (No Go Equipment Currently Listed Anywhere 2018)
- Yutopian sells Ing boards and stones as well as regular equipment, books, and software.
- Many game stores will carry one or more Go sets. (Game stores as in board games; often found in malls. Such as Wizards of the Coast)
- Great Hall Games Decent selection of both go books and go equipment, as well as materials for many other games.
Boston Area, Massachusetts
- Games People Play (Harvard Sq in Cambridge) Decent selection of both go books and go equipment, as well as materials for many other games.
- Leavitt & Peirce (Harvard Sq in Cambridge) Mainly a tobacco/pipe shop, but also has a selection of quality equipment for classic games (go, chess, backgammon, mahjong, etc). Just down the street from Games People Play.
- Eureka (Coolidge Corner in Brookline) A shop with a wide variety of puzzles and modern games. Some equipment for Go and other classic games.
- There was Japan Go Imports, (www.japangoimports.com), but its website seems to have gone for now.
San Francisco Bay Area, California
- Comicopolis in Santa Cruz carries a basic starter set with a non-folding board.
- Games of Berkeley has a considerable selection of books and gear. Their book selection vastly exceeds that of Kinokuniya Bookstore in San Francisco and includes titles from Yutopian and Slate & Shell.
- Kinokuniya Bookstores is a place to get Japanese and English Go books; mostly from Kiseido Press. (As of May 2018 their in-store stock in SF was limited to “Winning Go”; SJ had one or two additional titles from Tuttle.) They infrequently stock small magnetic sets. Directions to their San Francisco and San Jose branches are provided on the Kinokuniya US map page.
- Milpitas Square (South Bay/Silicon Valley) has two Chinese bookstores which carry a small inventory of portable magnetic sets, plywood gobans, and stones. Yunzi stones are sometimes sold in the bookstore on the north wing of the mall. Ask for weiqi as the retailers do not refer to the game as Go.
- San Francisco Chinatown stores carry portable magnetic and non-magnetic Go sets ranging from about $20 to $40. You can also find sets of functional single-convex glass Go stones for $4 instead of the regular $20 (about 120 irregular stones of each color - so buy two sets). Inventory and availability varies by shop. Check the stores deeper down the main street to find the best prices on everything.
- San Francisco Japantown antique stores will sometimes carry used gobans in the range of about $500.
- San Jose Japantown has two shops which carry basic Go equipment (full-sized folding boards, plastic Go stones and goke). Check Nichi Bei Bussan and Kogura's (No website, call (408)294-3184).
New York City, New York
Kinokuniya Bookstore on 6th Ave. between 41st and 42nd Sts. stocks magnetic travel sets and a small selection of Go books from Tuttle, primarily Winning Go.
The Brooklyn Strategist, located on Court St. between Union and Sackett St. in the borough of Brooklyn, has a few sets with wooden and vinyl boards, as well as stones sold separately.
Syracuse, New York