Ang-Yue Go School Study Guide
A presentation of ways to study and improve at this very complex game.
|Table of contents|
We thought it would be relevant to first present the various study tools available. We chose to sort them according to which aspect of the game it allows to improve: theory & principles, reading skills and knowledge of fixed patterns/openings.
1.2 Reading Skills
Now that you know what you can study and where to find it, letís see some possible daily and weekly schedules according to the level of play: beginners, intermediate and advanced players.
2.1 Beginners (30k to 15k)
2.2 Intermediate (15k to 1k)
2.3 Advanced (dan players)
This list is not intended to be exhaustive; we simply decided to suggest some programs we think are worth trying. For a more exhaustive list of programs, see GoPrograms .
- Multigo: This is a very flexible and powerful SGF reader/editor. It is one of the only programs handling other formats. Strongly recommended.
- CGoban: This is the KGS client and a SGF reader and editor. The variation tree in the program is very intuitive.
- Jacoto: This is a program to manage collections of SGF files, sorting them according to properties such as rank, handicap, name, date, etc. This is NOT a SGF reader; you have to specify a SGF reader in the settings.
- SmartGo: This program builds joseki and fuseki databases from collections of games, allows opening many files/games at the same time, includes a problems solving engine and is a powerful SGF editor.
- SGFC: SGFC is a SGF syntax checker and converter. There is a web interface available and you can compile the sources (the windows binary provided on the website is not working).
- SGF Merger: Merges SGF files (creates a separate branch for each SGF).
This is list is not intended to be exhaustive. See Senseiís Library for a longer listing of go servers.
- KGS (Kiseido Go Sever): A large English speaking go community. This is the server on which we teach.
- DGS (Dragon Go Server): Turn-based go server.
- wBaduk: Korean server, English client available, connects to Chinese, Japanese, and Thai servers as well.