Go Terms Used For Go Equipment/ Discussion

I would like to see a list of translations of Go Terms used for Go equipment. When surfing the net for places where Go stuff can be purchased, I noticed that only very few things closely related to Go is being sold in these shops. And it was difficult for me to find places where additional material what you may need or want to play Go on a Go table in traditional asiatic fashioned style like arm rests, low chairs, floor cushions to sit on, fans etc. can be ordered on the net. Once I found out the Japanese terms used for these items, it became a bit more easy to find related things on the net.

Please feel free to add to or correct this list. As I am neither a native English nor Japanese speaker, there are surely some mistakes too. What I am still missing in this list is for example the terms used for 'Go clocks' and for the small, low tables used to place the clocks next to the (thick) Go table. There are surely more things which would be interesting to know and fit into this list as well. Also the Chinese and Korean terms might be of interest. -- mafi

Andrew Grant: Do you think the terms from Tatami to Sensu inclusive really belong in this list? They are just the normal Japanese words for these items, which are not go equipment in any real sense. It's a bit like compiling a list of English go terms and including words like "chair" and "table".

mafi?: If you would have read the introducing lines carefully, you would know the answer. May be we could dispute whether the title of this page is perfectly choosen or not. But terms like Zabuton and Zaisu are exactly what I was looking for when starting this list. Actually I am not sure where the limit for this list is. For example whether terms like Kimono? would still have a place in this list or not. The meaning of the list is exactly what you mentioned, compiling a list of words, to make it easier finding such things on the net if you are looking for them.

Andrew Grant: Fair enough. But as you say, it's difficult to say where to draw the line. "Kimono" may be obsolete these days; certainly Japanese professionals wear Western clothes, even for top title matches. In general, people in Japan today (except the very old) only wear traditional clothing for major ceremonies. I saw a photograph once of Kato Masao in a kimono, at the ceremony to install him as Honinbo in 1977.

BobMcGuigan: Actually it's not uncommon for Japanese pros to wear kimono in title matches. Takemiya used to do it regularly, Yoda does it, and, as you say, Kato wears it for award ceremonies.

mafi?: I added Kimono? to the list and sorted the terms alphabetically.

Richard Hunter: On TV, they usually describe Yoda as wearing Wafuku.

anon: I have a suggestion for finding items online when you cannot read the language. If you are looking for go equipment, you can find the term for what you want in a paticular language. Once you have the name, put it into the image search for google. Virtually all online vendors have pictures of their stuff. once you find what you want the only task that remains is figuring out how to order. Good Luck!

Go Terms Used For Go Equipment/ Discussion last edited by Dieter on April 27, 2023 - 13:38
RecentChanges · StartingPoints · About
Edit page ·Search · Related · Page info · Latest diff
[Welcome to Sensei's Library!]
Search position
Page history
Latest page diff
Partner sites:
Go Teaching Ladder
Login / Prefs
Sensei's Library