Beginner move function problems
Alex Weldon: As an experiment, I'm inventing a new type of problem for beginners - rather than finding the best move to play, I'm going to give a board position with maybe four moves, marked a, b, c and d and four descriptions of move function, e.g. "Take territory while allowing Black influence." or "Live locally with a weak group." The idea being to match the moves with what they're for. I remember that when I was first starting, I had trouble just understanding exactly what certain moves were aiming at.
SnotNose: As a big fan of these, I'm now making contributions to the problems, not just the solutions.
- Beginner Move Function Problem 1
- Beginner Move Function Problem 2
- Beginner Move Function Problem 3
- Beginner Move Function Problem 4 -- this one may include elements that are above the beginner level.
- Beginner Move Function Problem 5 -- a continuation of the game that appeared in Problem 4 but with (hopefully) easier questions.