Nihon Ki-in Professionals
The data below is a summary of all of the individual player pages maintained by the Nihon Ki-in player webpages include 302 active players as of 26 August 2010, 72 players retired that retired after 2000, and 48 players that have died since March 1999. As a result, not all retired and deceased players are included.
As of 26 August 2010, the Nihon Ki-in lists:
- 422 professional players of which 353 are male and 69 are female (ratio 5:1)
- 108 9-dan players of which 108 are male and 0 are female (1:0)
- 59 8-dan players of which 57 are male and 2 are female (28:1)
- 62 7-dan players of which 60 are male and 2 are female (30:1)
- 51 6-dan players of which 45 are male and 6 are female (7:1)
- 39 5-dan players of which 27 are male and 12 are female (2:1)
- 26 4-dan players of which 16 are male and 10 are female (1:1)
- 23 3-dan players of which 11 are male and 12 are female (1:1)
- 24 2-dan players of which 12 are male and 12 are female (1:1)
- 30 1-dan players of which 17 are male and 13 are female (4:3)
Note: Rank at the Nihon Ki-in is obtained either by winning a set number of professional games at each level or by challenging for a title. Most players improve their rank through winning individual games. The absolute minimum required to achieve 9 dan is 750 wins and 0 losses. As a result, a considerable amount of time is required to reach the top ranks through winning individual games.
valerio: the pages show only active players of the Nihon Ki-in (or retired from 2001 -72 players- and dead from 1999, march -48 players).