Olleh KT Cup
Olleh KT Cup is a Korean professional tournament created in 2010, sponsored by the Korean telecommunications company Olleh KT. Games are telecasted. Title match is best of 5. Total prizes are 700,000,000 Won and the prize for the winner is 100,000,000 Won.
In the first edition of the tournament, the tournament is structured as follows:
- First preliminary round: the 48 lowest seeded players (53rd to 100th seeds) each play a single game; 24 players win. 52 out of 100 players have not competed yet.
- Second preliminary round: 24 winners of the first round play against the 24 lowest seeded players (29th to 52nd seeds) that have not played so far; 24 players win. 28 out of 100 players have not competed yet.
- Third preliminary round: 24 winners of the second round complete against each other leaving 12 winners.
- Fourth preliminary round: 12 winners of the third round play against the 12 lowest seeded players (17th to 28th seeds) that have not played so far; 12 players win. 16 out of 100 players have not competed yet.
- Fifth preliminary round: 12 winners for the fourth round compete against the 12 lowest seeded players (5th to 16th seeds) that have not played so far; 12 players win. Only the top four seeds have not competed yet.
- Final knockout tournament: 12 winners from the fourth round and the top four seeded players play a four round knockout tournament to determine the champion.
First edition preliminary round results and brief notes of the 16 finalists can be on this Italian blog date 24 August 2010.
In the second edition the tournament's arrangements were slighty changed: only two preliminaries were held (28 players advance) and the tournament table was composed of 32 players.
About the name
"Olleh KT" is the name of a Korean telecommunications company. Originally "KT" for "Korea Telecom", it adopted a new corporate identity "Olleh KT" after a merger with another Korean telecommunications company. "Olleh" is "hello" spelt backwards.