Lose Vs Loose
- Rhymes with "booze" and "snooze".
- Would be spelled "luze" if English had any consistency -- but it's not, because it doesn't.
- Means "the opposite of win". Black is doomed to lose this game.
- Rhymes with "noose" and "goose"
- Means "the opposite of tight". Ogeima is a kind of a loose connection between go stones.
- TakeNGive (sorry, my grandmother was pedantic about English)
unkx80: I find it very interesting, and I wonder why, in both rec.games.go and Sensei's Library, I often see people spell "loose" when they mean "lose"? :-)
Probably because of Ignorance and Apathy -- Morten
Or because of "choose" and "chose". English is phonetically very inconsistent. -- Dieter