Guo Juan's Internet Go School
Guo Juan's Internet Go School is a commercial collection of lectures (lessons, training sessions and game commentaries), problems maintained by Guo Juan 5p with contributions from other professionals.
Older lectures last around half an hour, but newer lectures have been made shorter, some as short as 5 minutes, and some of the game commentaries may be longer. They consist of a Java applet that provides audio synchronized with a computer displayed goban.
- Listen to lectures, for which they can
- Enable problems to learn & practice
- Step back and forth through positions
- Download an SGF
- Discuss and comment
- Practice their enabled problems on the basis of spaced repetition
- Create problems of their own, which they can
- Enable to learn & practice
- Optionally, publish to other users
- Discuss any visible problem
- Discuss the site, Go and anything else in a forum
- Compare their achievements with those of other users
- Guo Juan 5p
- Hua XueMing 7p
- Wang JianKun 7p
- Yan An 7p
- Wu ZhaoYi 9p
- Jennie Shen 2p
- Fan Hui 2p
- Antoine Fenech 5d
- MingJiu Jiang 7p
- Jujo Jiang 9p
- Catalin Taranu 5p
Several courses of study are offered, some samples:
- Pro game reviews. Over hundred games have been reviewed thus far (as of Spring 2010), including games by Go Seigen and recent title matches (as the Card Cup, Chunlan Cup, Mingren, Honinbo) or international team tournaments (as the Nongshim Cup).
- Step by step course, consisting of 15 lectures for students from 30 kyu to 1 dan by Guo Juan 5p
- How to win a won game course, consisting of 10 lectures for students from 10 kyu to 5 dan by Yan An 7p and Guo Juan 5p
- All about the star-point course, for students from 10 kyu to 5 dan by Guo Juan 5p
- All about the 3-4 point course, for students from 10 kyu to 5 dan by Guo Juan 5p
- Opening Training course, Level A for students from 30 kyu to 1 kyu by Hu XiaoLing 2p and Guo Juan 5p
- Wu ZhaoYi 9p class, covering how to play josekis, how to keep balance of the game, winning tesujis, efficiency of the stones, etc.
- Shen Jing 2p class, teaching important fundamentals (direction of play, leaning attacks, using thickness, etc.)
As of 2023-01-30, there are 1420 lectures with 14,131 related problems, a further 366 problems in 8 “problem decks” provided by the site and a number of other problems in “decks” mad available by users of the site.
The lectures and their problems are organised into these series, each of which is further subdivided:
|Life & Death||48||684|
|Tournament game reviews||34||6|
As of 2023-01-30 there are two plans available: 19€/month or 149€/year, both of which include unrestricted access to all site features.
Gringo: These lessons helped me a lot! I already improved a few stones (I'm around 20k) from only 5 lessons (so 5 €). Note that there are 7 free lectures at this moment.
GrandYan: The requirements mentioned on the website are a bit too high. I tried viewing one of the sample lessons on a 333 MHz PC with 156 MB RAM, using Java 1.4. It worked fine. I could even open a few other programs (used Firefox as the browser). Anyone know if it can go any lower? Thanks.
SirBowen?: I can't recommend this site highly enough; it's become my main daily site, to check if anything new has posted. The pro game reviews are better than anything else I've seen in English, for-fee or otherwise. The lessons are clear and comprehensive, covering a wide range of material that it's hard to find elsewhere.
Crazyfish?: I am going to try to maintain a summary wiki page for the audio go lectures, Audio Go Lecture Site Course Summaries. Please add to the summary wiki as you continue to listen to the online lectures. PJT 2023-01-30: Presumably this is now Audio Go Lessons.
tapir: Discovered it only recently (after getting over the obstacle to send some money) and like it very much.