Cho Chikun - Kobayashi Koichi, 1982-06-30
- White: Cho Chikun
- Black: Kobayashi Koichi
- Date: June 30, 1982 to July 1, 1982
- Event: 4th game of 37th Honinbo title
- Komi: 5.5
- Result: W+11.5 in 267 moves
- SGF available on GoBase. Hopefully, if we add some nice commentary, I can put it in the SGF and resubmit it to Gobase.
- This game is featured in the Game Gallery section under Shinogi, without comment.
White 10: In the book "Cho HunHyun Life and Master Games" (Ishi Press), a game is discussed (Cho Hunhyun 2dan-Abe Yoshiteru 6dan, Jan. 11, 1968). In this game a move similar to this is discussed. It is said that because of the formation in the upper left, the move at 'a' is a more appropriate wariuchi. However, if we examine the formation in the upper right, White 10 is in the spot normally desired by black in certain star point josekis. So, as an amateur 1d player I question if White 10 would not be more effective at a. And yet, White 10 does seem to be a better spot, because black doesen't have an extension on the left yet. I'd appreciate any insight into this matter. -Kungfu