Korean promotion system
Korean promotions are awarded either according to playing results or under special circumstances.
A non-exhaustive list of promotion rules:
- 3 rank increase for winning an international title
- 1 rank increase for challenging for an international title
- 1 rank increase for winning a domestic title
- All teaching professionals (Janice Kim, Alexandr Dinerchtein, Svetlana Shikshina) got a promotion to 3 dan from 1 dan in 2010.
- All recently active professionals starting to teach abroad got promoted to 8 dan, or 9 dan if they were 8 dan already in 2010.
- All gold medalists in the Asian games were promoted by 1 rank in 2010.