I helped out with the Cotsen Go Tournament from 2003 to 2010. I was the tournament director from 2006 to 2010.
|Table of contents||Index of sub-pages|
- Chris's Go Pages - Some pages with the beginner in mind
- 24 - Games that were in the background on the TV show 24.
- Hikaru no Go problem 9 - Shirakawa-sensei's tsumego
- Tsumego from Games 64 - A position from one of my games in the Third Toyota/Denso North American Oza in Las Vegas
- JBQM - Questions about the Japanese language and Japan
- BQM116 - followup to the wedge?
- BQM152 - which direction to play?
- BQM158 - middlegame question
- BQM179 - fuseki question
- BQM181 - Get Strong at Attacking problem 11
- BQM185 - Avalanche in the Chinese Opening
- BQM187 - Corner invasion after "honte" connection
- BQM287 - Endgame question about The Endgame by Ogawa and Davies
- BQM289 - Opening question
- The most inefficient stones are in the lid of your opponent's bowl.
- Tesuji is Japanese for "Damn, why didn't I think of that?!?"
- The Chinese Fuseki is more than three moves.
- Just because your opponent is nodding, it doesn't mean you made a good move.
- If you've read something out but it contradicts a proverb, do it anyway. It probably means one of three things:
- You probably don't understand the proverb.
- It doesn't apply in this case.
- You made a mistake earlier on.
At any rate, you'll learn something.
2015-10-27: I recently started playing again. No one would play a ? player, so I beat GnuGo to get 11k, and have been playing other people to slowly raise my rating. I heard that there is a stronger Go bot that I can play against, so maybe I can raise my rating back to normal.
2015-11-01: I spent the weekend trying to get games with the stronger bots in the Computer Go room on KGS. There was a queue. I gave up, and played real people. It was hard - people would escape from games when they saw how strong I was.
I ended up playing a handicap game with Tyler. Losing still raised my rating to 3k? After that, an automatch game got me to 2k? This is probably where I should be, and I'm getting matches that are a lot closer now.
2017-01-06: I started playing online again in December, after not playing since March 2016. They're mostly fast and blitz games, often while watching TV with family or doing other things. I think playing faster has helped with my snap judgement strategically, but the games are still blowouts on one side or the other. I'm hovering around the 4k/5k border.
2017-06-12: I logged into Tygem, and have been able to play as a 1k there. I raised my KGS rating to 4k (even got to 3k for a bit), but it's a lot harder to get a game there nowadays. I'm wondering if I can stabilize (or raise) my Tygem rating.
- 2003 8k
- 2004 2k
- 2005 1d - breakthrough to shodan
- 2006 2d
- 2010 1d
- 2012 2d
- 2013 1d
- 2014 1d
- 2015 1k - breakthrough to shodan
- 2016 1k - no tournament games