Want to attack the opponent? - Defend.
Want to build territory? - Take none.
Want to control the rhythm of the game? - Don't control anything.
Want to gain advantage? - Sacrifice.
`°º¤ø,¸¸ ¸¸,ø¤º°` ¸¸,ø¤º°` `°º¤ø,¸¸ ¸¸,ø¤º°`
ღ♥ஐ¸¸ .•*´¯ ´¯`*•.¸¸ஐ♥ღ ღ♥ஐ¸¸ .•*´¯ ´¯`*•.¸¸ஐ♥ღ ღ♥ஐ¸¸ .•*´¯ ´¯`*•.¸¸ஐ♥ღ ღ♥ஐ¸¸ .•*´¯ ´¯`*•.¸¸ஐ♥ღ ღ♥ஐ¸¸ .•*´¯ ´¯`*•.¸¸ஐ♥ღ
╱╲╳╴╵╶╷╸╹╺╻╼╽╾╿▀▁▂▃▄▅▆▇█▉▊▋▌▍▎▏▐░▒▓▔▕■□▢▣▤▥▦▧▨▩▪▫▬▭▮▯▰▱△▴▵▶▷▸▹▻ ◈◉◊○◌◍◎●◐◑◒◓◔◕◖◗◘◙◚◛◜◝◞◟◠◡◦◯☀☁☂☃☄★☇☈☉☊☋☌☍☎☏¢ ♐♑♒♓♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟♠♡♢♣♤♥♦♧♨♩♪♫♬♭♮♯✁✂✃✄✆✇✈✉✌✍✎✏✐✑✒✓✔✝✞✟✠✡✢✣✤✥✦✧✩✪❢❣❤❥❦❧➔➘➙➚➛➜➝➞➟➡➠➢➣➤➥➦➩➪➫➬➭➮➯➱➲➳➴➵➶➷➸➹➺➻➼➽➾⤴⤵⦅⦆⦿⧺⧻〄々〇【】〒〓〜〠〶〼〽❶❷❸❹❺❻❼❽❾❿ ℂ
◄▀▄▀▄▀▄ ☺☻☺☻☺ ★★★ ¸.•° ¸.•° ¸.•° ¸.•° ¸.•° ¸.•° ★★★ ☻☺☻☺☻ ▄▀▄▀▄▀
................................................................................................................................ ......OOOOO........................OOOOO......OOOOOOO......OOOOO........................OOOOO........ .......OOOOO......................OOOOO.....OOOO..OOOO.....OOOOO......................OOOOO......... ........OOOOO.......OOO.......OOOOO.....OOOO....OOOO.....OOOOO.......OOO.......OOOOO.......... .........OOOOO.....OOOO.....OOOOO.....OOOO......OOOO.....OOOOO.....OOOO.....OOOOO........... ..........OOOOO...OOOOO...OOOOO......OOOO......OOOO......OOOOO...OOOOO...OOOOO............ ...........OOOOOOOO..OOOOOOOO.......OOOO......OOOO.......OOOOOOOO..OOOOOOOO............. ............OOOOOOO....OOOOOOO.........OOOO....OOOO.........OOOOOOO....OOOOOOO.............. .............OOOOOO......OOOOOO...........OOOOOOOOO...........OOOOOO......OOOOOO............... ..............OOOOO........OOOOO..............OOOOOOO..............OOOOO........OOOOO................
'''Always cut, unless you can't cut, then cut anyway.
If you absolutely can't cut, connect, but only if it means you can cut later.''' (from uglyboxer)
Getting stronger in losing a won game.
- "Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes." - John Dewey
White is always trying to kill a bigger group than black is trying to save
- hǎohǎoxuéxí, tiāntiānxiàngshàng - study hard and every day you will improve (idiom)
- The road to wisdom? Well, it's plain, and simple to express: Err, and err, and err again; but less, and less, and less!
- For those who like speed go, practicing mistakes will perfect them. (the players or the mistakes? :-)
- For those who take long to play, the worst move is indeed hard to find without sufficient time and thought.
- Stop using wits against an unarmed man. It's vicious and cruel.
- Redbeard on Life_in_19x19: Robert Heinlein quote: “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”.
- Fermi(?): absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
'Au pays des muets,les aveugles sont sourds.'
- In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
'Il ne faut pas prendre les gens pour des cons.'
'Il y a dÃ©jÃ assez de cons quâ€™on prend pour des gens.'
'Un intellectuel est un type qui est rassurÃ© quand il nâ€™est pas compris.'
Martin Butler(?): "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still",
except when coercive persuasion (force, brainwashing in the totalitarian sense, is meant)
The London Times affords December 29, 1863 an excellent illustration of the truth of the old proverb
- Weil im Zentrum der Politik die Machtfrage steht, kann es wichtigeres geben als die Wahrheit.
- Je bent wat je doet - en niet wat je zegt dat je doet! (Manager van ASN bank)
- Mangagement gaat over de dingen goed doen
- - leiderschap gaat over de goede dingen doen. (Peter Drucker)
- Organisatiecultuur is niet maakbar,
- het komt op het gedrag aan.
- Vergaderen is voor de talentlozen.
- 'Multilevel marketing' is een beschaafde manier om te zeggen, dat er via een piramide structuur verkocht wordt.
- The level of variation is dominated by the harmony of the general.
- The first rule of holes: If you're in one, stop digging.
- "The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering!" -Ashleigh Brilliant
- “Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent” - Isaac Asimov
- "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." - George Bernard Shaw
- This reminds slightly of the Simpson's movie quote:
- "I was elected to lead, not to read..."
- patriotism is an uncritical, reflexive act, right?
- A point of view is when your mental horizon has radius zero.
- “We cannot solve our current problems with the same level of thinking that created them”
- Attention Difference Syndrome = One person’s crucial details are another person’s trivialities.
- If you talk to God, you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic.
- "Never look down on anyone unless you are picking them up."
- “People will do what they want to do, and then find reasons to support it.“
- "You cannot always have happiness, but you can always give happiness."
- "I have the greatest of all riches: that of not desiring them." - Eleonora Duse
- "Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow."
- "Everything should be made as simple as possible... but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
- "The trouble about man is twofold. He cannot learn truths which are too complicated; he forgets truths which are too simple." - Rebecca West
- “Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.” Eugene McCarthy?
- “You can watch a thief, but you can’t watch a liar.”
- As Joseph Heller aptly put it - "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you."
- "This is a game that rewards patience and balance.
- You must think like a man of action and
- act like a man of thought." Jonas Skarssen
- 'Dialog mit Denkverboten' (SZ über Bischofskonferenz)
- '... seine Mundwinkel zeigten gefährlich steil nach unten ' (SZ über TV-Duell Beck - Klöckner)
- 'you can run, but there is nowhere to hide'
- 'Work is dun' - time for fun'
- Time management? Boo.
- Why do today what you can procrastinate tomorrow? Wisdom to live by.
- Slogan: "People matter - results count !' (PWC ?)
- Irgendwann ist der Mitleidsbonus verbraucht.
- Niemand interessiert sich dafür, ob Du glücklich bist.
- Also sei besser gleich glücklich.
- There is no way to harmony - Harmony is the way. (~ Happiness)
- discombobulated by the kerfuffle
- Ein Witzbold hat mal gesagt: 'Im übrigen fasse ich mich so lang, weil mir die Zeit fehlt es kurz zu machen.''
Al Gore? quotes Upton Sinclair? in his movie/presentation "An Inconvenient Truth":
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
hĕn nàn ràng yīgè rén liăojiĕ tā mŏuxiē shì qíng dàng tā dì xīn shuĭyī lài yú tā suŏ bùliăojiĕzhī shìwù.
Il est difficile de faire comprendre quelque chose à quelqu'un dont le salaire dépend de sa capacité à ne pas le comprendre
- Je kunt een probleem niet oplossen met de denkwijze die het heeft veroorzaakt.
- Domme mensen
- zijn uiterst zelden leergierig
- weten alles al
- en wat ze niet weten is onzin.
- hun kennis bereikt al gauw een punt van verzadiging.
- narzistisch, inkompetent und unzuverlässig - welcher Manager ist das nicht?
- Veraantwoordelijkheid nemen kan ook betekenen NEE te zeggen!
- Kennis is slechts een hindernis op weg naar macht.
- Ambition is not a commitment. (Confusing aim with means)
- You're not obligated to win. You're obligated to keep trying to do the best you can every day.
- -- Marian Wright Edelman ((born June 6, 1939) is an American activist for the rights of children. Edelman was first African American admitted to the Mississippi Bar when she began practising law out of the LDF's Mississippi office. During her time in Mississippi, she worked on racial justice issues connected with the civil rights movement and represented activists throughout the Mississippi Freedom Summer of 1964. )
meh: "``To become a pro in anything, you need a perfect combination of opportunity, drive, dedication, and talent. If any of those are missing, you won't make it (though if you have enough drive, dedication, and talent, you can make your own opportunities, to some degree).
To even achieve high-level amateur in anything, you must be prepared to devote hours of your life to it. (...) You have to be prepared for that, and you have to be willing to put that kind of effort into it. If you really want it, you have to know that it won't just magically fall into your lap. It will be work, and a lot of it.
ETA: Incidentally, a quote I read somewhere comes to mind: "Even if you're a natural, talent will only take you so far. The difference between 'good' and 'great' is how much effort you're willing to put in.''"
- I am an opponent of religion. It teaches us to be contented with the fact that we do not understand the world.
- Some moves are DANgerous. Others are just KYUte.
- If you get to the point where you have to make choices between bad alternatives,
then the problem is not here, but in earlier moves.
- Black should resign if White has four corners
- Black should resign if Black has four corners
- Black should resign if one player has four corners
- Someone should resign if one player has four corners
Originally Posted by shapenaji: Conversation won by resignation!
- “Without error there can be no brilliancy” --Emmanuel Lasker. (Lasker was the second world chess champion.)
- „Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.“
- "Sage es mir und ich werde es vergessen,
- zeige es mir und ich werde es vielleicht behalten.
- Lass mich es tun und ich werde es können"
Frage nicht: warum etwas NICHT geht - sondern: Was kann ich tun, DAMIT es geht!
- 'Victory means nothing; the fight is everything.' -Ryu
- What's the point of working every day if you only get paid twice a month?
"An empty head is not really empty; it is stuffed with rubbish. Hence the difficulty of forcing anything into an empty head."
-- Eric Hoffer
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
-- Mark Twain
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
-- Charles Darwin
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
"Ma'am, trying to have a conversation with you would be like trying to argue with a dining room table. I have no interest in doing it."
-- Barney Frank
Tongue breaker for children:
- Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread ,
- Spread it thick
- Say it quick
- Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread ,
- Now repeat it
- While you eat it
- Yellow butter, purple jelly, red jam, black bread ,
- Don't talk
- with your mouth full !
OT - OT
I've expressed it in another post.
I would be very happy if s.o. reaches 5d or more and then teaches me.
Somehow I feel that the famous Turing experiment eventually succeeded.
([FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]Or does my very remark mean that it is not ? :confused: ;) /SIZE?/FONT?
There seems to be so much 2nd hand knowledge at hand - without ever having experienced it in reality.
Whether it is the air in Chengdu or a good game of Go somewhere in China (now that's mean of me to say that). :o
The typical communication techniques seem to be:
-reply/comment to another person's statement
-adding another personal statement in form of a generalization + softening it a bit that one wouldn't be an expert on this subject.
-adding a totally unrelated statement.
While this could be a recipe for great conversations vis-a-vis, with a smile and under friends, it doesn't feel suited to the internet, esp. when
-the generalizations covering much (even the opposite)
-actual experience is low
-there is a problem with receiving/giving critique
OT: I just happened to read Philip K.Dick's 'Second Variety'
and s.th. reminds me of it. :)
- 'Les jambes des femmes sont des compas qui arpentent le globe terrestre en tous sens, lui donnant son équilibre et son harmonie'
- "L'Homme qui aimait les Femmes"
- François Truffaut
- Severity of a Non-conformity
- Non-conformity which affects the process operation and implies extra costs to run it.
- Non-conformity which has impact in the normal operation of a significant number of users.
- Recurrence of multiple minor-non conformities
- Non-conformity which neither affects significantly the process operation nor implies extra costs to run it
- Requirement violation which has no impact in the normal operation of a significant number of users.
„W Trzebrzeszynie Chrzászcz brzmi w trzcinie, i Trzebrzeszyn z tego slynie ze Chrzászcz brzmi tam w
- NEU Dziesietego dziesiatego, o dziesiatej minut dziesiec, dziesiec dzieciolow dzialalo z godnie z umowa z dnia dziesiatego dziesiatego
(Am zehnten zehnten um zehn uhr zehn machten zehn Vollidioten das was am zehnten zehnten beschlossen wurde).
Der Spruch an sich sehr lustig.Eer erzählt von einer polnischen Parlamentsdebatte!
- NEU Tam na wiezy lezy niewierzacy jerzy i nie wierzy ze kolo wierzy lezy dzesiec nietoperzy
(Da, auf dem Turm liegt der ungläubige Jorg, und er glaubt nicht dass unter dem Turm zehn Fledermäuse liegen)
- NEU Na wyscigach wyscigowych wyscignela wyscigowa wyscigowka wyscigowa wyschigowka wyscgiowy numer szesc
(Im Rennen der Rennmaschinen überholte rennende Rennmaschine eine andere rennende Rennmaschine mit der Rennnumer 6)
- W czasie suszy szosa sucha szybko schnie
(In der Zeit der Trockenheit trocknet eine trockene Chaussee schnell.)
- W Trzebrzeszynie Chrzászcz brzmi w trzcinie, i Trzebrzeszyn z tego slynie ze Chrzászcz brzmi tam w Trzebrzeszynie.
(In Trzebrzeszynie quakt der Käfer im Schilf, und Trzebrzeszynie rühmt sich dessen, dass der Käfer im Schilf quakt.)
- Nie pieprz Piotrze wieprza pieprzem, bo mozesz przepieprzyc wieprza pieprzem.
(Pfeffere nicht das Felkel mit Pfeffer, Peter, denn du kannst das Felkel mit Pfeffer überpeffern; aus: " Im Sumpf" von Tschechow)
- Kuraudo (GD):
- “Without a wish, without a will,
- I stood upon that silent hill
- And stared into the sky until
- My eyes were blind with stars and still
- I stared into the sky.”
Der wahntägliche Normalsinn - Wahntäglicher normalSinn
- no one ever got better by always getting it right
- Qu'importe, je m'en étais toujours sorti,
- une solution inattendue s'était offerte à moi
- Si j'arriverai pu les écouter plus longtemps,
- j'aurais peut-être obtenu les renseignements qu'il me fallait.
"Do as I say, not as I pretend not to do."
- Cruyfiaanse uitdrukking: 'als je ‘m snapt, begrijp je het.'
JohnF. : " ... come and join us in the real world over here. Companies amd organisations like the civil service have layers of redundant middle management and people like trainers who have nothing better to do than to try to justify their existence. They do this by picking up guidelines like this and turning them into systems they control."
Sol.Ch. over DM: "Here are all the ways I can solve the AGA's problems, just don't expect me to go out and do anything about it because the AGA has problems, I did the hard part by typing it all out. "
- Do you even know how to support an argument directly?
- Not only do you get stuff wrong a lot,
- but most of what you said doesn't support what you assert either.
- Apologies are as dust on the wind unless you back them up with action.
- How to Troll a Forum 'This type of troll can either be incredibly stupid or incredibly arrogant, or both.'
Tchan001: An observation of the Inigo Modus Operandi
- 1. Make lengthy strong assertion to establish self as expert. Facts do not need to be carefully checked, just needs to be stated as if fact. Hopes to cross the thin line between fool and genius.
- 2. When assertion is attacked, seek to undermine credibility of attacker. Ask for proof of logical and factual weaknesses.
- 3. When attack is too strong to defend, admit bewilderment over faults in original statement. Meanwhile try to recover position by defending other parts and switching attention elsewhere.
- 4. Make more lengthy statements and try to sap the energy of people who dare to argue. Overwhelm and conquer.
... most of the bad remarks are from fat people
who are one donut away from a coronary anyhow.
- ... It should be noted that .... for a while , for reasons best understood to the leadership. (Tony Goddard)
- self proclaimed luddite
- Someone who opposes technological change
- Workers in Britain (1810–1820) who responded to replacement of human labor by machines during the Industrial Revolution by attempting to destroy the machines; named after a mythical leader, Ned Ludd.
The Physical Universe
One interpretation of the Arrow of Time is that time is nothing more than the steady progression of entropy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(arrow_of_time)
Some have speculated that there is more than one timelike dimension: http://www.physorg.com/news96027669.html
Go is about Influence and Aji, nothing more. Aji is defined as the potential to change influence.
Territory is the special case of very high influence and very low aji. Killing is incidental.
The go board can be conceptualized as a universe with two spacial (x,y) and two timelike (influence, aji) dimensions.
One can imagine that each intersection has an value for influence and aji. At the beginning of the game, the influence map is in a state of very low entropy (low influence), and the aji map is in a state of very high entropy (aji everywhere). As the game progresses, the "influence entropy" increases, and the "aji entropy" decreases. The game is over when all intersections have 100% influence and 0% aji.
The go stones don't know about the component parts of entropy. They can only see the single arrow of time making changes to their universe one move at a time. Likewise, we, the go stones of the physical universe, only see the single arrow of time; Its component parts are invisible to us.
Captain .... Caaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeemaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn !!!!! ⊙_⊙ (◕‿◕)
ℋℯℓℓℴ ...!™ Ħѻѽɖӌ ...!™ βɘɘɾ ȉʂ ǥǫǫɖ‼
Do not ever use strings containing any of these characters in the English Game Room, for it is rude and weird: (ѻў ѷɘў)
A few useful tiny icons: √★♂♀♫♪♥➭◄►•
Little numbers for fun: ₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉
Edit and use when needed: ⒷⓄⓄⓉ ⒽⒾⓂ/ⒽⒺⓇ‼ ... or ... ℬℴℴɫ ℎ≀ɱ/ℎɘɾ‼
The game which may not be mentioned: ♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟
unɟ əq uɐɔ uʍop səpısdn ƃuıʇıɹʍ
KGS greetings and game offers
- "Good day, my fine sir or madam. I hope you find the contest in which we are about to engage a worthwhile pursuit, and I wish you all the best for the coming day."
- 2 bières belges- Free Blitz -
- fast, ~ takes additional HC
Game offer on KGS: R sente5 7k 10p +, no[~][?][-][#?][♦][♣][♠][♥][#],kyu,dan,guest,bot,escaper,sandbagger,admin
- Free Blitz 1m + 10s/move, kyu players can get 1H stone more
- 3min + Canadian: 5min / 20 stones
- Free 1min + Canadian: 4min / 25 stones, kyu players can take a stone more
- 随波逐流 - 无可奈何花落去
- súbōzhúliú wúkěnàihé huā là qù
- 对酒当歌 (怒而飞，其翼若垂天之云！)
- duìjiǔdānggē nù ér fēi, qí yì ruò chuí tiān zhī yún
- shèngfù tài zhòngliǎo le，jiù bú kuàilè。
- sǐshuǐ wēilán stagnant water/ swelling water
Weiqi Famous Quotes and proverbs
Raj on January 2nd, 2008 http://www.rajmahendra.com/2008/01/02/weiqi-famous-quotes-and-proverbs
- While the Baroque rules of chess could only have been created by humans, the rules of go are so elegant, organic, and rigorously logical that if intelligent life forms exist elsewhere in the universe, they almost certainly play go.
– Edward Lasker
- “the tactic of the soldier, the exactness of the mathematician, the imagination of the artist, the inspiration of the poet, the calm of the philosopher, and the greatest intelligence.”
- Zhang Yunqi,
- The board is a mirror of the mind of the players as the moments pass. When a master studies the record of a game he can tell at what point greed overtook the pupil, when he became tired, when he fell into stupidity, and when the maid came by with tea.
- War is? like a game of weiqi . . . Strongholds built by the enemy and bases by us resemble moves to dominate spaces on the board.
– Mao Zedong
- Those interested in impressing others with their intelligence play chess. Those who would settle for being chic play backgammon. Those who wish to become individuals of quality take up Go.
- Microcomputer Executive and an expert player, when asked to compare Go with other games
- Chess has only two outcomes: draw and checkmate. The objective of the game . . . is total victory or defeat â€“ and the battle is conducted head-on, in the center of the board. The aim of go is relative advantage; the game is played all over the board, and the objective is to increase one’s options and reduce those of the adversary. The goal is less victory than persistent strategic progress.
– Dr. Henry Kissinger
- Chess is a Battle, Weiqi/Go is a war. – Anonymous
- The difference between a stone played on one intersection rather than on an adjacent neighbor is insignificant to the uninitiated. The master of Go, though, sees it as all the difference between a flower and a cinder block.
- From The Challenge of Go: Esoteric Granddaddy of Board Games, by Dave Lowry
- In chess you start with everything you have on the board. In go you start from nothing and build.
– Tim Klinger
- Go uses the most elemental materials and concepts — line and circle, wood and stone, black and white — combining them with simple rules to generate subtle strategies and complex tactics that stagger the imagination.
- Iwamoto Kaoru, 9-dan professional Go player and former Honinbo title holder
- Your opponent’s good move is your good move
- The opponent’s vital point is my vital point
- Play on the point of symmetry
- Play double sente early
- Sente gains nothing
- Beware of going back to patch up
- Don’t follow proverbs blindly
- When in doubt, Tenuki
- Don’t go fishing while your house is on fire
- There is death in the hane
- Hane, Cut, Placement
- Learn the eyestealing tesuji
- Six die but eight live (on the second line)
- Four die but six live (on the third line or in the corner on the second line)
- Four is five and five is eight and six is twelve
- The carpenters square becomes ko
- The L group is dead
- The door group is dead
- Strange things happen at the one two point
- Eyes win semeais
- Check escape routes first
- Capture three to get an eye
- Respond to attachment with hane
- Wedge if possible
- Hane at the Head of Two Stones
- Crosscut then extend
- Capture the cutting stones
- Beginners play atari
- The empty triangle is bad
- The one-point jump (ikken tobi) is never bad
- Don’t try to cut the one-point jump
- Strike at the waist of the keima
- Cutting right through a knight’s move is very big
- Do not peep at cutting points
- Two stones are five times harder to kill than one
- Even a moron connects against a peep
- If you have one stone on the third line in atari, add a second stone and sacrifice both
- Use contact moves for defence
- Never ignore a shoulder hit
- The bamboo joint may be short of liberties
- Nets are better than ladders
- Answer the capping play with a knight’s move
- Approach from the wider side
- Block on the wider side
- Play at the centre of three stones
- Answer keima with kosumi
- Five liberties for tactical stability
- Capture stones caught in a ladder at the earliest opportunity
- Two hanes gain a liberty
- The strong player plays straight, the weak plays diagonal
- There is no connection in the carpenter’s triangle
- Jump out once and then make eye?
- You need half the points + 1
- Five Liberties for Tactical Stability
- When in doubt, tenuki
- Never make hollow ko threats
- Trying to achieve light and airy gamestyle ends up blown away?
- If you have 30 minutes, use them?