Program vs Professional
|Table of contents|
In late 2015, Google Deepmind's AlphaGo project played several games against Fan Hui winning the match. In early 2016, AlphaGo beat Lee Sedol 4-1. Around New Year's 2017, a version of AlphaGo played as "master" on Tygem, going 60-0 against a wide array of top professionals in rapid games.
Prior to AlphaGo's success, professional go players played a small number of serious matches against computer go programs, often against the winner of a computer go tournament. In 2014 and 2015, the top programs needed a handicap of about 4 stones on a 19x19 board.
- Date: December 2011, Event: 5th Computer Go UEC Cup, sgf: http://jsb.cs.uec.ac.jp/~igo/eng/result_ex/Kobayashi-Erica.sgf and http://jsb.cs.uec.ac.jp/~igo/eng/result_ex/Tei-Zen.sgf -- Sorry, both files: 404, file not found.
- 2018-05-02 to 2018-05-16. Golaxy match against pros. Golaxy won 40-1 giving no komi handicap. The single lost game is against Xie Ke. News article
- 2018-12-28 to 2019-01-23 Pro Top5 vs Handol. Handol won even games against top Korean professionals: Shin Minjun, Lee Donghoon, Kim Jiseok, Park Junghwan, Shin Jinseo.
- 2019-12-18 to 2019-12-21. Lee Sedol retiring match against Handol.
- First game. Miraculous win by Lee Sedol using net-ladder. Handol was giving 2 stones against komi handicap.
- Second game. Handol wins even game.
- Third game. Lee Sedol loses with 2 stones against komi.
See http://www.computer-go.info/h-c/index.html for a list of professional-program matches.
There are also links on the Computer Go page.