Keywords: Online Go
You might want to look at the OGS-based FAQ.
Additional FAQs for the new OGS:
- What rating system does OGS use?
- A modified ELO. Similar to the rating system used by the EGF. See also ELO used in Go. For K, the following formula is used:
K = kfactorScale * (122 - 6 * r100 + r100 * r100 / 15) where r100 = rating / 100 and kfactorScale is 1 for 19x19, 0.5 for 13x13, and 0.25 for 9x9
- Why isn't the Analyze Game option available in my game?
- If you are playing a tournament game, the setting is determined by the tournament director upon the creation of the tournament. Games played on a ladder will always have this option disabled. It is also possible for the game creator to turn analysis off when creating the game. However, analysis is enabled for spectators.
- How do I turn sound on/off?
- Click on the speaker to the left of the board. Your preference will be remembered for other boards, though you may have to close and reopen them.
- Is there an Android/iOS app?
- A beta android app will be released Very Soon (relative to 2013-10-22). An iOS app is planned. Users report that playing through a browser on most tablets works well.
- What is the OGS policy on escaping?
- There is no official policy. Currently, if you leave a game your time will continue to run and you will eventually lose on timeout. If you are having connection issues try to notify your opponent and there is a pause option that can be used until the connection situation is resolved.
- What is the pause button for?
- Pause is similar to adjournment. You and your opponent can agree on a time to come back and finish a game. Pause can also be used to add time to your opponents clock. Simply pause the game to allow them more time to move. Either player can resume the game.
- How do I change my profile picture?
- Profile images are controlled by Gravatar. Sign up for a Gravatar account using the same email address that you use to log into OGS.
- How do I see all games being played? The Observe Games page only shows live games.
- The ability to browse correspondence games will be added soon. The devs apologize for it taking a while to get that worked out.