Masukawa is particularly well-versed in the history of Shogi. Published several books on the history of Go, all in Japanese. Director of the Shogi Museum in Osaka and editor of Yugishi kenkyu, a periodical journal on the history of games. Stresses the fact that Go and Shogi were popular due to fact that they were played for money, inspite of the strict prohibitions against this practice in Japan.
Go related Literature:
- Masukawa Koichi, Go. Hosei Daigaku Shuppankyoku, Tokyo, 1987. ISBN 4-588-20591-9 (Jap.)
- Masukawa Koichi, Gouchi Shougisashi no Tanjou. Heibonsha, Tokyo, 1995. ISBN 978-4582761191 (Jap.)
- Masukawa Koichi, Gouchi Shougisashi no Edo. Heibonsha, Tokyo, 1998. ISBN 978-4582841800 (Jap.)
- Masukawa Koichi, "Der Ursprung des japanischen Schachs." In: Homo ludens 4, 1995. (Ger.)
Essays in English:
- The Castle Games of the Edo Period - An Eye-Witness Report (Published in a previous version also at gobase.org)