- KGS New Zealand Rules: 'free teire if even dame'
- KGS Chinese Rules: 'free teire if even dame', forbid suicide
- KGS AGA Rules: fixed handicap, 'free teire if even dame', forbid suicide
- KGS Japanese Rules: fixed handicap, life-death rules, basic-ko, forbid suicide
Flower's eclectic Rules for playing WeiQi ;-)
Version 0.1 (2007-01)
Flower Rules are a specific implementation of the Taylor/Tromp rules. (by adding some of this optional bulk that distinguishes full rulesets from core rules)
Special traits of this ruleset follow from the paradigms it evolved from:
- Based on Tromp/Taylor Rules thus inheriting its flawless logic and simplicity.
- Benefits of both Area and Territory scoring by heeding Ikeda Toshio's advice.
- Fixed handicap system that gives players appropriate handicap.
- Fair self-scaling Komi that both players determine together prior to starting a game.
I came up with them as I was the first in my peer group to pick up playing Go.
As such I started evangelizing using Taylor/Tromp rules as they were the least confusing of all rulesets.
Though <30k I am still the most experienced player in our round and began studying the rulesets as my friends got curious about specific rules.
Soon I was cought in a crossfire of questions specific rule situations which led to the evolution of this ruleset.
- Q: "Are you and your Friends nuts!? Talking about specific variants pertaining to miniscule komi amounts in order to make for a 'fairer game' when you all still make errors worth over 10moku each other move?"
- A: "We are german ;-) (and academics to boot)"
(note to self: translate TT rules into german)
- Handicap := Stones that are placed by the weaker player before the beginning of the game.
- Komi := Stones that are given to white as prisoners prior to the beginning of the game in exchange for the right to make the first move as black.
- Equivalence Scoring shall be used (area scoring through 'passtones', 'white passes last' and 'territory Counting')
- The Handicap shall be equal to the rounded down rankdifference.
- During Handicap placement the stronger player does not give passtones. Thus the handicap stones will not score during counting.
- Komi as well as sides can be set by Divide and Choose? or Auction Komi. If the rankdifference is fractional then the weaker players gets to play Black for free.
- If the first pass of a game is made by White then no passtone shall be given for this pass. (Ikeda's Rule)
- End of the Game
- Two successive passes during play trigger Aggreement.
- Two passes during Agreement initiate 'last pass has to be made by white', 'agreed stone removal'. After the removal of the stones the game is scored by counting.
- A move during the agreement phase will resume play. (Another two successive passes are necessary to enter another agreement phase.)
Other than that I have created the following subpages:
_from KGS Experience:
- Friendly Atmosphere, yay!
- Teaching System, whee!
- Speech :) (though speex does so much better with 9-12kbps)
- Ability to chat in-game
- Friendly SGF Editor (variations view and so on)
- Crossplatform due to Java
- Automatic updates with JNLP
- The Wiki I am just contributing to :-)
- Help Room, where some nice admins helped me at once after 1st connect.